Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

Today is Father's Day, which means that Dad's everywhere should be free to do whatever it is they want. That means that if they want to play cards all day, so be it. If two desserts is on the menu, then two desserts it is(even if they have to pay for it tomorrow).

My Dad is the best. He made me a man in the way it should be done, by example. I don't think my Dad has ever driven above the speed limit. You cannot underestimate the importance of this, because it shows that there are no loopholes. I think that the greatest disservice a parent can do to a child is to leave an impression that the rules can be bent to fit some short term need. By making "the rules" negotiable, you tell a child that anything goes if you can get away with it, and that goes for their own rules down the line, and will eventually come back to haunt them. Ethics is something that does not get enough respect in our society because religion has made morality more important. In my world, the bumper sticker does not read, "what would Jesus do?" it says, "what would Daddy do?"

Happy Father's Day Daddy!

2 comments:

CAMILLA said...

What a lovely tribute to your
father! He was deeply touched..
and happy.

jamison said...

you speak the truth and make me think about raising Ronin. Love you man.