Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Club Monaco Sucks

So I'm in this store on the 3rd street promenade called Club Monaco last week. I had picked out this dress for my wife for her birthday and I'm waiting in line. It's about 7 pm the day before Valentine's Day so I know its going to take some time to get through the line. There are two people working registers, a young man and a not as young woman who had that "I'm in charge" vibe, the way she barked orders at the man. I hate seeing that. Then, a beautiful girl (17 years old at most) walked behind the counter and tells the manager that it's 7 so she's off the clock. The barker then tells her to open her purse, which the young girl dutifully does. After giving the bag a thorough looking over, she tells her she can go. Did I mention this is in a clothing store in Santa Monica. It felt more like county jail. I understand that employees steal. I get that young employees making minimum wage may steal a lot. But this should not happen in front of customers. I wonder how this girl gets treated when there is no one around to see. Maybe if the young girl was not Black, I would have felt less offended, but I doubt it. Anyway, the second this little exchange ended, I put the dress back on the rack and walked out of the store. Club Monaco will never get my money thanks to one horrible manager.

My wife liked the outfit I got instead at Anthropologie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's actually common practice in retail for bags to be checked before an employee leaves the store. Even in front of customers. I'm sure the manager could have been nicer about it, but it's not a big deal really.

Damon said...

Just because something is a common practice does not make it right. Women not voting and Black enslavement used to be common practice. But they weren't a big deal really either.